Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Oscars

I must say I love movies, I love going to movies, I love working in movies and I love the Oscars. Hugh Jackman was a great host. I was super happy Slumdog won best picture. That was one of the best movies in a long time. If you haven't seen it go see it.

As I sit here tonight watching the different departments that make up a movie get celebrated I can't help but wonder when will stunt people be acknowledged? How do you balance not ruining the illusion with giving credit to the talented people who make all those action sequences so amazing. Will Smith was on stage tonight and gave a tribute to action movie sequences but made no mention of the stunt people who made that happen. We have been fighting for years to be included in the oscars but get denied. It was just last year that we were included in the SAG awards.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The 2nd A.D., boom op and Best Boy feel the same way too. When will it stop? What makes your position any different from these?

Heather Arthur said...

All of those respected jobs departments you mentioned do get awards. The boom operator may not get an award but there was two awards given out last night for sound. I believe the line is drawn based on weather it is an Art and Science (since it is called the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science). Stunts is both an art and a science and anyone who doesn't think that has never done a stunt or set one up. I am not saying that everyone who does a stunt in a movie should be given an award but it would be nice to be acknowledge as a department in some way or another.