Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Christmas Time in Hawaii

It is very strange spending December in a warm tropical climate. It just doesn't feel like the holidays. I guess I associate Christmas time with, sipping hot chocolate (it is too hot here to drink hot drinks), sitting by the fire (the only fire you sit by in Hawaii are the tiki torches), baking cookies (it is too hot to bake cookies), big sweaters, scarves and mittens and finally snow. I absolutely love the hot weather and living in a tropical climate but it isn't easy to be festive here.

We listen to Christmas music in the car with the air conditioning on which just takes something way from the words, "Let it snow, let it snow, let is snow". We are headed back to the cold weather on Thursday and I am not looking forward to the cold but I am looking forward to drinking a hot peppermint mocha from Starbucks and wearing an itchy bulky wool sweater. We will be gone for over 2 week just enough time to enjoy the cold weather with Christmas. It is strange how I associate cold weather with the holidays. I guess you get use to what you get use to. Perhaps someday it will feel normal to have the air conditioning on listening to Christmas music, but I doubt it.

No comments: